[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Geometry and Topology seminar: Jenya Sapir

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Oct 10 16:54:06 EDT 2023

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have our very own Jenya Sapir speaking about
geodesic current, title and abstract below. This will be an in person talk,
on Thursday at 2:50pm in WH 100E.

We will also have a lunch social, meet at 12pm just outside WH100E. See you
there!

Best,
Cary

*Title:* Geometry of geodesic currents
*Abstract:* The space of projective, filling currents PFC(S) contains many
structures relating to a closed, genus g surface S. For example, it
contains the set of all closed curves on S, as well as an embedded copy of
Teichmuller space, and many other spaces of metrics on S. We will discuss a
structure theorem that compares each filling current with a suitably chosen
point in Teichmuller space. We will then use this structure theorem to
explore the geometry of PFC(S) under an extension of the Thurston metric.