[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Geometry and Topology seminar: Brenda Johnson

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 23 10:44:21 EDT 2023

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Brenda Johnson (Union College) speaking
about functor calculus, title and abstract below. This will be an in person
talk, on Thursday at 2:50pm in WH 100E.

Our speaker will not be on campus in time for lunch, but we will still do
our usual gathering at 12pm just outside WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
*Title:* What is (functor) calculus?
*Abstract:* Goodwillie’s calculus of homotopy functors is an important
topological tool that has been used to shed light on and make connections
between fundamental structures in homotopy theory and K-theory. It has also
inspired the creation of new types of functor calculi to tackle problems in
algebra and topology. In this talk, I will begin by describing Goodwillie’s
calculus and some of these other types of functor calculi. I will then
address more general questions about what the essential features of
something called “functor calculus” should be and the types of conditions
and ingredients that are sufficient for creating new functor calculi.