[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] (no subject)

Ross Geoghegan ross at math.binghamton.edu
Fri Feb 2 21:21:56 EST 2007

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday Februaruy 8, 2007

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
          Reading Room.

   Speaker:   Dorin Dutkay (U. Central Florida)

   Title: Wavelets and Fourier series on fractals

Abstract:
The multiresolution theory of wavelets and the theory of fractals have
at their core a common property: self-similarity. In this talk we will
present a parallel between the two theories, show how they can work
together to construct super-wavelets, i.e., wavelet bases on spaces
bigger than L2(R), construct orhogonal Fourier series on certain fractal
measures, and construct wavelet bases on some Hausdorff measures. Concrete
examples will be given and we will present some conjectures and open
problems. The talk will be accessible to lower level graduate students.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://math.binghamton.edu/MATH/dept/topsem/index.html

It can also be linked from the Department's Home Page.
IF YOU WANT TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS EMAIL LIST WRITE
ross at math.binghamton.edu