[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] 2 talks November 20

Marco Varisco marco at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 17 09:41:42 EST 2008

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR
  http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/

We have two talks this Thursday.

----

FIRST TALK:

Date:  Thursday, November 20, 2008

Time:  2:50 pm

Place:  Library North 2205
  (followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading Room)

Speaker:  Michael Ching (University of Georgia)

Title:  Operads and the chain rule for Goodwillie calculus

Abstract:  I'll describe joint with with Greg Arone on the chain rule
for Goodwillie's calculus of homotopy functors. For functors of stable
model categories such as spectra, this chain rule takes a simple form
that mirrors the chain rule for higher derivatives in everyday
calculus. In the unstable case, this formula must be adjusted to take
into account the operad formed by the derivatives of the identity
functor.

----

SECOND TALK (COLLOQUIUM):