[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] 2 talks October 22

Marco Varisco marco at math.binghamton.edu
Sat Oct 17 11:51:11 EDT 2009

Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar
http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/

Two talks are scheduled for this Thursday.

-- First talk --

Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009

Time: 2:50-3:50 pm

Place: Library North 2205
(followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading Room)

Speaker: Mark V. Sapir, Vanderbilt University

Title: Residual properties of 1-related groups

Abstract: This is a joint work with A. Borisov and I. Spakulova. We
prove that almost all 1-related groups with at least 3 generators are
residually finite and coherent. The proof uses geometric group theory,
algebraic geometry, and probability theory (Wiener's measure).

-- Second talk --