[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Remaining Talks (today and tomorrow)

Lucas Sabalka sabalka at math.binghamton.edu
Thu Mar 31 11:50:32 EDT 2011

                  BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

The room for the third talk of the week has been finalized:  LN-2201. See
also the abstract below.

*Date:*  *Wednesday*, March 30, 2011
*Time:*  *3:30-4:30pm*
*Place:*  Library North 2205 preceded by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.
*Speaker:*  Collin Bleak (St. Andrews)
*Title:*  Minimal nonsolvable subgroups of F

*Abstract:*  In previous work, we showed that every non-solvable subgroup of
F contains a copy of a particular, countably generated (and not finitely
generated!) non-solvable subgroup W.  In turn, W contains copies of every
solvable subgroup of F.  In this talk, we consider what happens for finitely
generated non-solvable subgroups of F.  We show that a particular,
2-generated, non-solvable group B (as in, `Brin's group B') has the property
that every finitely generated non-solvable subgroup of F has a copy of B
within it.

*