[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Sep 22

Dmytro Savchuk dsavchuk at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 19 22:49:04 EDT 2011

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, Sep 22, 2011
*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker:*  Ana Rita Pires (Cornell University)
*Title:* Symplectic Origami
*
Abstract:* An origami manifold is a manifold equipped with a closed 2-form
which is symplectic everywhere except on a hypersurface, where it is a
folded form whose kernel defines a circle fibration. In this talk, I will
explain how an origami manifold can be unfolded into a collection of
symplectic pieces and conversely, how a collection of symplectic pieces can
be folded (modulo compatibility conditions), into an origami manifold. Using
equivariant versions of these operations, we will see how classic symplectic
results of convexity and classification of toric manifolds translate to the
origami world. There will be pictures resembling paper origami, but no
instructions on how to fold a paper crane. I will attempt to make this talk
symplectically-self contained.

Seminar web-page is at:
http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/index.html