[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Binghamton Combinatorics (Emmanuelle Delucchi)

Dmytro Savchuk dsavchuk at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Sep 20 11:08:03 EDT 2011

Today's talk in Combinatorics Seminar may be of interest to topology people.

                       COMBINATORICS SEMINAR
                    BINGHAMTON UNIVERSITY (SUNY)

Tuesday, September 20

Speaker: Emanuele Delucchi (Bremen)
Title: Complex Toric Arrangements: Combinatorial Models and the Fundamental
Group
Time: 1:15 - 2:15
Room: LN-2205

The study of arrangements of subtori in the complex torus T = Cn is a
recently thriving topic. It has some structural similarities with the theory
of hyperplane arrangements, yet it bears its own peculiarities.

The Salvetti complex is a combinatorial model of the complement of a
complexified real arrangement of hyperplanes. We take Salvetti's work as a
stepping stone to develop a combinatorial model for the complement of a
complex toric subspace arrangement, M := T\A, where A is the union of the
subtori in the arrangement. More precisely, we prove that M is homotopy
equivalent to the nerve of a combinatorially defined acyclic category. Then,
we find a presentation of the fundamental group of M.

This is joint work with Giacomo D'Antonio of the University of Bremen.

The seminar Web site: http://www.math.binghamton.**
edu/dept/ComboSem/index.html<http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/ComboSem/index.html>