[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Apr 12

Dmytro Savchuk dsavchuk at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 9 20:49:42 EDT 2012

                 BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, Apr 12, 2012

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker: ** *Jim Belk (Bards College)
*Title: *A Thompson Group for the Basilica
 *
Abstract: * In the 1960's, Richard J. Thompson described three groups *F*, *
T*, and *V*, which act by homeomorphisms on the interval, the circle, and
the Cantor set, respectively. In this talk, I will describe an analogous
group that acts by homeomorphisms on the Basilica Julia set. This group can
also be described as a group of piecewise-linear homeomorphisms of the unit
circle that preserves the invariant lamination determined by the Basilica.
I will sketch a proof that this group is finitely generated and virtually
simple, and discuss possible generalizations to other Julia sets. This is
joint work with Bradley Forrest.