[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Apr 26

Dmytro Savchuk dsavchuk at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Apr 24 10:01:41 EDT 2012

                 BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, Apr 26, 2012

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker: ** *Micah Miller (Central Connecticut State University)
*Title: *The string topology loop product through twisting cochains
 *
Abstract:* String topology is the study of the free loop space of a
manifold LM. The loop product, defined on the homology of LM, is described
intuitively as a combination of the intersection product on M and loop
concatenation in the based loop space of M. However, since the intersection
product is well-defined only on transversally intersecting chains, this
description is incomplete. Brown's theory of twisting cochains provides a
chain model of a bundle in terms of the chains on the base and chains on
the fiber. We extend this theory so that it can be applied to provide a
model of the free loop space. We give a precise definition of the loop
product defined at the chain level.