[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Geometry & Topology seminar

somnath at math.binghamton.edu somnath at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 18 09:57:00 EST 2013

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, November 21st, 2013

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
Reading Room.

*Speaker: ** *Kun Wang (Ohio State University)
*Title: * Group actions on CAT(0)-spaces and the Farrell-Jones conjecture.

*Abstract:* In this talk, I will firstly outline the Bartels-Lueck-Reich
approach to the Farrell-Jones conjecture (FJC), which is very much
influenced by the previous work of Farrell and Jones. In particular, this
approach applies to CAT(0) and hyperbolic groups. I will then present some
results concerning the following question: if a group admits a
¡°nice¡± but not necessary proper action on a CAT(0)-space and if the
point stabilizers satisfy FJC, whether the original group satisfies FJC.