[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Geometry & Topology seminar

somnath at math.binghamton.edu somnath at math.binghamton.edu
Wed Sep 18 09:32:24 EDT 2013

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, September 12, 2013

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker: ** *Jim Belk (Bard College)
*Title: *Turing Machines, Automata, and the Brin-Thomspon Group 2V
 *
Abstract:* I will sketch a proof that the Brin-Thompson group 2V has
unsolvable torsion problem. That is, there is no algorithm to decide
whether a given element of 2V has finite order. As a consequence, I will
show that the periodicity problem for asynchronous finite-state
transducers is undecidable. This is joint work with Collin Bleak.