[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Geometry & Topology seminar

somnath at math.binghamton.edu somnath at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 30 11:37:33 EDT 2013

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, October 3rd, 2013

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
Reading Room.

*Speaker: ** *Matt Zaremsky (Binghamton University)
*Title: *Finiteness properties of Thompson-like groups

*Abstract:* In this talk I will discuss some variations on the classical
Thompson's groups F, T and V, some geometries on which they act, and
finiteness properties of the groups. This builds off of classical work due
in part to Brown and Stein. Examples of groups I will discuss include
braided and higher dimensional Thompson's groups, due to Brin, and also
some new examples being developed under a general program, joint with
Witzel. Work on the finiteness properties of these groups is joint with
Bux, Fluch, Marschler (ne Schwandt) and Witzel.