[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] talk of interest to geometers and topologists

Ross Geoghegan ross at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 3 17:48:48 EST 2014

                         COMBINATORICS SEMINAR
                      BINGHAMTON UNIVERSITY (SUNY)

                         Tuesday, November 4

        (Joint with the Arithmetic and Geometry/Topology Seminars)

Speaker: Emanuele Delucchi (Fribourg, Switzerland)
Title: Toric Arrangements – Towards Setting Up a Combinatorial Theory
Time: 1:15 - 2:15
Room: OW-100E

Recent work of De Concini, Procesi, and Vergne on vector partition functions
gave a new impulse to the study of toric arrangements from algebraic,
topological, and combinatorial points of view. In this context, many new
discrete structures have appeared in the literature, each describing some
aspect of the theory (i.e., either the arithmetic-algebraic one or the
topological one) and trying to mirror the combinatorial framework which
revolves around arrangements of hyperplanes. I will give a quick overview of
the state of the art and, taking inspiration from some recent results of
topological flavor, I will try to suggest a possible approach towards unifying
these different objects.

The seminar Web site: http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/ComboSem/index.html