[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Topology/Geometry Seminar this Thursday

Tam Nguyen Phan tam at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Nov 11 13:47:04 EST 2014

  BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday, November 13, 2014

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Old Whitney Hall, Room 100E,  followed by coffee/tea in the
      Hilton Reading Room. Note the new location of the math department.

   Speaker: Matt Zaremsky (Binghamton University)
   Title: HNN decompositions of Lodha-Moore groups, and topological
applications

Abstract:
In 1979, Geoghegan made four conjectures about Thompson's group F, three
out of four of which have since been proved; the last one, non-amenability,
is (in)famously still open. In 2013, Lodha and Moore found examples of
finitely presented groups, closely related to F, which *are* non-amenable.
They also showed that three out of four of Geoghegan's conjectures hold
(this time including non-amenability). I have recently shown that they also
satisfy the fourth conjecture, thus yielding the first examples of groups
satisfying all four of Geoghegan's requirements. This talk will be an
introduction to the Lodha-Moore groups, and a discussion of the key tool,
that they are isomorphic to ascending HNN extensions of each other. If time
permits I will also discuss my computation of the Bieri-Neumann-Strebel
invariants for the Lodha-Moore groups.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/seminars/topsem

It can also be linked from the Department's Home Page.