[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Topology/Geometry Seminar this Thursday

Tam Nguyen Phan tam at math.binghamton.edu
Sun Nov 29 22:19:39 EST 2015

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday, December 3rd, 2015

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Whitney Hall, Room 100E,  followed by coffee/tea in the
      Hilton Reading Room. Note the new location of the math department (
http:// <http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>www2.
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>math.binghamton.edu
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>/p/directions
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>).

   Speaker:  *Matt Brin*  (Binghamton University)

   Title: Elementary amenable subgroups of PL homeomorphisms of the interval
that are not very elementary.

    Abstract: Among the piecewise linear homeomorphisms of the unit interval,
we find a sequence of easily described 2-generator groups of rapidly
increasing complexity.  In spite of their complexity, we can
(oxymoronically) calculate an exact measure of each group's complexity.  We
will define terms, give the exact constructions and give some details of
the analysis.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/seminars/topsem