[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Topology/Geometry seminar this Thursday

Tam Nguyen Phan tam at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Feb 29 17:51:58 EST 2016

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday, March 3rd, 2016

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Whitney Hall, Room 100E,  followed by coffee/tea in the Hilton
Reading Room. Note the new location of the math department (http://
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>www2.
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>math.binghamton.edu
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>/p/directions
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>).

   Speaker: Steven Frankel (IAS)

   Title: Quasigeodesic and pseudo-Anosov flows

    Abstract: We will discuss two kinds of flows on 3-manifolds:
quasigeodesic and pseudo-Anosov. Quasigeodesic flows are defined by a
tangent condition, that each flowline is coarsely comparable to a geodesic.
In contrast, pseudo-Anosov flows are defined by a transverse condition,
where the flow contracts and expands the manifold in different directions.

When the ambient manifold is hyperbolic, there is a surprising relationship
between these apparently disparate classes of flows. We will show that a
quasigeodesic flow on a closed hyperbolic 3-manifold has a “coarsely
contracting-expanding” transverse structure, and use this to show that
every such flow has closed orbits. We will also illustrate an approach to
Calegari’s conjecture, that every quasigeodesic flow can be deformed into a
pseudo-Anosov flow.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/seminars/topsem