[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] SPECIAL DATE AND TIME: Tomorrow, October 15, 1:15, Emanuele Delucchi

sapir at math.binghamton.edu sapir at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 14 11:15:52 EDT 2019

This week, we're meeting tomorrow, October 15 at 1:15 in
100E, as our seminar is joint with combinatorics.

Speaker: Emanuele Delucchi (Fribourg/Freiburg)
 Title: Fundamental Polytopes of Metric Spaces via Parallel
Connection of Matroids   Abstract:  Motivated by
applications in phylogenetics, Linard Hoessly and I tackle the problem of
a combinatorial classification of finite metric spaces via their
fundamental polytopes, as suggested by Vershik in 2010. We consider a
hyperplane arrangement associated to every split pseudometric and, for
tree-like metrics, we study the combinatorics of its underlying matroid.
We give explicit formulas for the face numbers of fundamental polytopes
and Lipschitz polytopes of all tree-like metrics, and we characterize the
metric trees for which the fundamental polytope is simplicial.