[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Correct Title and Abstract

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Tue Oct 6 14:27:39 EDT 2020

Sorry, I didn't notice the beginning and the end of the abstract got
clipped when I copied and pasted it didn't. Here you go.

*Speaker*: Kathryn Mann (Cornell University)
*Title*: Reconstructing maps out of groups
*Abstract*: This talk is about the relationship between the algebraic
structure of a discrete group and the possible dynamics of its actions.
I'll explain a result with Maxime Wolff where we show that, under some
circumstances, one can completely reconstruct a homeomorphism of a space
out of algebraic (group structure) data.  As a consequence of this, we gave
an independent short proof of a recent theorem of Kim and Koberda:  you can
distinguish the group of $C^r$ diffeomorphisms of a 1-manifold from the
group of $C^s$ diffeomorphisms just by knowing their finitely generated
subgroups.

Zoom link for coffee 2:00-2:50 pm and the seminar, 2:50 - 3:50 pm:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94057178271

-Matt