[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Online Topology Seminar

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Fri Sep 4 14:07:52 EDT 2020

 Hi everyone,

Next week on Thursday we will have our first online seminar talk. Our
speaker will be Abdul Zalloum of Queen's University.

*Title: Hyperbolic-like boundaries of non-hyperbolic spaces.*

*Abstract: While a quasi-isometry between two hyperbolic spaces X,Y induces
a homeomorphism between their respective Gromov boundaries, the conclusion
fails if X,Y are replaced by cocompact CAT(0) spaces. This has motivated a
bulk of recent work introducing "hyperbolic-like" boundaries for CAT(0)
spaces, and more generally, for proper geodesic metric spaces. For a proper
geodesic metric space X, instead of considering the collection
of all geodesic rays shooting to infinity, if you collect only
those possessing some "hyperbolic-like" behavior, you obtain a boundary
which is invariant under-quasi isometries. I will describe few such
boundaries along with the way they relate to each other. Some of the
results I will mention are joint with Incerti-Medici while others are joint
with Qing and Murray."*

There are still 4 open spots for speakers at the end of the semester. If
you have any speakers that you would like to invite, you encouraged to make
your suggestions here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfiIX3KGqiiwzgzn72zMRc64yoaNEh4Sc7cHBD4amyZT-QvVA/viewform>
.

I am looking forward to seeing you all next week!

Best,

Matt