[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Zoom coffee with speaker Re: Online Topology Seminar

sapir at math.binghamton.edu sapir at math.binghamton.edu
Fri Sep 4 14:41:40 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I thought it would be nice to have coffee with our speaker this
Thursday from 12:30 - 1:30. We'll meet on zoom here:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96674397432

Meeting ID: 966
7439 7432

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }</style> Grad students are especially
encouraged to attend!

Best,
Jenya Sapir

---- On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 13:09:01 -0400
Matthew R Haulmark <haulmark at binghamton.edu> wrote
----

Hi everyone,

Next week on Thursday we will have our first online seminar talk. Our
speaker will be Abdul Zalloum of Queen's University.

Title:
Hyperbolic-like boundaries of non-hyperbolic spaces.

Abstract:  While a quasi-isometry between two hyperbolic
spaces X,Y induces a  homeomorphism between their respective Gromov
boundaries,  the conclusion fails if X,Y are replaced by cocompact CAT(0)
spaces.  This has motivated a bulk of recent work introducing
"hyperbolic-like"  boundaries for CAT(0) spaces, and more
generally, for proper geodesic  metric spaces. For a proper geodesic
metric space  X, instead of considering the collection
of all geodesic  rays shooting to infinity, if you collect only
those possessing  some "hyperbolic-like" behavior, you
obtain a boundary  which is invariant under-quasi isometries. I will
describe few such  boundaries along with the way they relate to each
other. Some of the  results I will mention are joint with Incerti-Medici
while others are  joint with Qing and
Murray."

There  are still 4 open spots for speakers at the end of the
semester. If you  have any speakers that you would like to invite, you
encouraged to make  your suggestions here.

I am looking forward to seeing you all next week!

Best,

Matt