[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Thursday Seminar

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 7 17:06:15 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I am just writing to remind you what Abdul Zalloum of Queen's University
will be speaking this Thursday from 2:50 - 3:50 pm. There will also be an
opportunity to meet the speaker earlier in the afternoon from 12:30 - 1:30
pm. Below you will find links for the Zoom meetings and the title and
abstract for Abdul's talk.

I hope to see you there!

-Matt

Zoom link for the seminar:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94057178271

Zoom link for the coffee with our speaker.

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96674397432

Meeting ID: 966 7439 7432

*Title:* Hyperbolic-like boundaries of non-hyperbolic spaces.

*Abstract:* While a quasi-isometry between two hyperbolic spaces X,Y
induces a homeomorphism between their respective Gromov boundaries, the
conclusion fails if X,Y are replaced by cocompact CAT(0) spaces. This has
motivated a bulk of recent work introducing "hyperbolic-like" boundaries
for CAT(0) spaces, and more generally, for proper geodesic metric spaces.
For a proper geodesic metric space X, instead of considering the collection
of *all *geodesic rays shooting to infinity, if you collect only those
possessing
some "hyperbolic-like" behavior, you obtain a boundary which is invariant
under-quasi isometries. I will describe few such boundaries along with the
way they relate to each other. Some of the results I will mention are joint
with Incerti-Medici while others are joint with Qing and Murray."