[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Seminar Today

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Thu Nov 11 06:36:30 EST 2021

 Hi everyone,

This is a reminder that today Tim Susse (Bard) speaking about RACGs and
RAAGs. The title and abstract are below. As usual, the talk will be on
Thursday at 2:50pm in WH 100E.

The speaker will be delivering the talk remotely, and we'll project it in
WH 100E. In case you can't make it and would like to join remotely, you can
join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96780551923

The "seminar lunch" will again be at the picnic table just outside the main
entrance a little after 12pm (in case you need to go pick up food and bring
it back). Anyone is welcome to join!

MH

Title: When is a RACG QI to a RAAG: a probabilistic approach.
Abstract: A celebrated theorem of Davis and Januszkiewicz shows that
every right-angled Artin group (RAAG) is isomorphic to a finite index
subgroup of some
right-angled Coxeter group (RACG). The converse, however, is not
true and the question of which RACGs are quasi-isometric to RAAGs
has achieved folk status. In this talk we will discuss the state
of the art on this question, which uses some of the most powerful
tools in Geometric Group Theory. We will focus on the generic version of
this question, using random graphs to model random right-angled Coxeter
groups and show that at low enough density the answer is (almost surely)
never.