[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Geometry and Topology seminar: Yash Lodha

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Wed May 4 17:33:21 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Yash Lodha (Vienna) speaking about left
orderable groups, title and abstract below. As usual, the talk will be on
Thursday at 2:50pm in WH 100E.

The speaker will be delivering the talk remotely, and we'll project it in
WH 100E. In case you can't make it and would like to join remotely, you can
join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94800072611

Some of us will meet at 12pm outside WH100E to get lunch, anyone is welcome
to join!

Best,
Cary

Title: Some new constructions in the theory of left orderable groups
Abstract: I will define two new constructions of finitely generated simple
left orderable groups (in recent joint work with Hyde and Rivas). Among
these examples are the first examples of finitely generated simple left
orderable groups that admit a minimal action by homeomorphisms on the
Torus, and the first family that admits such an action on the circle. I
shall also present examples of finitely generated simple left orderable
groups that are uniformly simple (these were constructed by me with Hyde in
2019). And present new examples that, somewhat surprisingly, have infinite
commutator width. Finally, I will present some new results around the
second bounded cohomology of these groups (joint with Fournier-Facio)