[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT Seminar: Gary Guth speaks today

Jose Roman Aranda Cuevas jaranda at binghamton.edu
Thu Oct 6 09:15:56 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

Today we are pleased to have Gary Guth (University of Oregon) speaking
about stabilizations of exotic surfaces. As usual, the talk will be on
Thursday at 2:50 pm.

The speaker will deliver the talk remotely, and we'll project it in WH
100E. In case you can't make it and would like to join remotely, you can
join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/2060048595

Please join us for a seminar lunch if you are available on campus.  We will
meet at noon outside WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
*Title: Satellites, Stabilizations, and Exotic Surfaces*
Abstract: A long standing question in the study of exotic behavior in
dimension four is whether exotic behavior is “stable”. For example, in
thinking about the four-dimensional h-coboridism theorem, Wall proved that
simply connected, exotic four-manifolds always become smoothly equivalent
after applying a suitable stabilization operation enough times. Similarly,
Hosokawa-Kawauchi and Baykur-Sunukjian showed that exotic surfaces become
smoothly equivalent after stabilizing the surfaces some number of times.
The question remains, “how many stabilizations are necessary, and is one
always enough?” By considering certain satellite operations, we provide an
answer to this question in the case of exotic surfaces with boundary.