[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT Seminar: Gary Guth speaks today

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Thu Oct 6 11:53:29 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

A quick reminder that Gary Guth (University of Oregon) is speaking about
stabilizations of exotic surfaces today at 2:50pm EDT! The speaker will be
delivering the talk remotely, and we'll project it in WH 100E. In case you
can't make it and would like to join remotely, you can join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/2060048595

If you are available on campus, please join us for a seminar lunch.  We
will meet at noon outside WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
*Title: Satellites, Stabilizations, and Exotic Surfaces*
*Abstract:* A long standing question in the study of exotic behavior in
dimension four is whether exotic behavior is “stable”. For example, in
thinking about the four-dimensional h-coboridism theorem, Wall proved that
simply connected, exotic four-manifolds always become smoothly equivalent
after applying a suitable stabilization operation enough times. Similarly,
Hosokawa-Kawauchi and Baykur-Sunukjian showed that exotic surfaces become
smoothly equivalent after stabilizing the surfaces some number of times.
The question remains, “how many stabilizations are necessary, and is one
always enough?” By considering certain satellite operations, we provide an
answer to this question in the case of exotic surfaces with boundary.