[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT Seminar: Gage Martin speaks today

Jose Roman Aranda Cuevas jaranda at binghamton.edu
Thu Sep 15 08:51:41 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Gage Martin (MIT) speaking about annular
Khovanov homology. As usual, the talk will be on Thursday at 2:50 pm.

The speaker will be delivering the talk remotely, and *we'll project it in
WH 100E.* In case you can't make it and would like to join remotely, you
can join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/2060048595

If you are available on campus, please join us for a seminar lunch.  We
will meet at noon outside WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

*Tittle: Annular links, double branched covers, and annular Khovanov
homology*

Abstract: Given a link in the thickened annulus, you can construct an
associated link in a closed 3-manifold through a double branched cover
construction. In this talk we will see that perspective on annular links
can be applied to show annular Khovanov homology detects certain braid
closures. Unfortunately, this perspective does not capture all information
about annular links. We will see a shortcoming of this perspective inspired
by the wrapping conjecture of Hoste-Przytycki. This is partially joint work
with Fraser Binns.