[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT seminar - Alexandra Kjuchukova speaking

Jose Roman Aranda Cuevas jaranda at binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 19 15:56:15 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Alexandra Kjuchukova from the University
of Notre Dame speaking about Coxeter groups and links. As usual, the talk
will be on Thursday at 2:50 pm.

The speaker will be delivering the talk remotely, and we'll project it in
WH 100E. In case you can't make it and would like to join remotely, you can
join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/2060048595

If you are available on campus, please join us for a seminar lunch.  We
will meet at noon outside WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

*Title: Coxeter groups and bridge numbers of links*

*Abstract:* The 1970s meridional rank conjecture of Cappell and Shaneson
posits equality between two invariants of links in S^3, the bridge number
and meridional rank. I will define these invariants and outline the history
of the conjecture. Then, I will describe an approach which relies on
finding Coxeter quotients of the fundamental groups of link complements. I
will use this approach to establish the conjecture for certain infinite
families of links, as well as to derive explicit formulas for the bridge
numbers for the links in question. Based on joint works with Blair, Baader,
Misev.