[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Oct 27

Dmytro Savchuk dsavchuk at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 24 10:21:20 EDT 2011

This week Somnath Basu will give his second talk on String Topology.

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, Oct 27, 2011

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker:* Somnath Basu* *(Binghamton University)
*Title: *Transversal String Topology and Applications
*
Abstract:*  We define and study certain geometric loops, called transversal
strings, which satisfy some specific boundary conditions. In particular, we
consider smooth paths in MxM that start and end on the diagonal and only
intersect the diagonal non-tangentially, including the end points. Such
strings can be naturally split at the intersection points giving rise to a
differential graded coalgebra. We'll analyze where this coalgebra lives and
discuss further algebraic structures in this setting. As an application,
aided by homological algebra, we can recover the homotopy type of the
complement of the diagonal in MxM which is known not to be an invariant of
the homotopy type of M.