[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Topology/Geometry seminar this Thursday

Tam Nguyen Phan tam at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 11 00:42:24 EDT 2016

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday, April 14th, 2016

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Whitney Hall, Room 100E,  followed by coffee/tea in the Hilton
Reading Room. Note the new location of the math department (http://
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>www2.
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>math.binghamton.edu
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>/p/directions
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>).

   Speaker:  *Matt Zaremsky* (Binghamton University)

   Title: *Finiteness properties of some subgroups of the pure braid groups*

    Abstract: The Bieri-Neumann-Strebel-Renz invariants of a group are a
sequence of geometric objects that encode a great deal of information about
certain subgroups of the group, including “finiteness properties” like
finite generation and finite presentability. In general they are quite
difficult to compute, and a full computation has been done only for very
few “interesting” families of groups. I will discuss some of my results on
the BNSR-invariants of the pure braid groups, and the implications for
finiteness properties of their subgroups. In particular I will discuss some
natural subgroups that are finitely generated but not finitely presented,
finitely presented but not of type F_3, type F_3 but not F_4, and so forth.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/seminars/topsem