[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Topology/Geometry seminar this Thursday

Tam Nguyen Phan tam at math.binghamton.edu
Mon May 9 00:22:40 EDT 2016

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday, May 12th, 2016

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Whitney Hall, Room 100E,  followed by coffee/tea in the Hilton
Reading Room. Note the new location of the math department (http://
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>www2.
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>math.binghamton.edu
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>/p/directions
<http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>).

   Speaker:  *Barry Minemyer* (Ohio State University)

   Title: *The isometric embedding problem for length metric spaces*

    Abstract: In the spring of 2010, Pedro Ontaneda suggested to me the
research question of whether or not the famous Nash isometric embedding
theorems could be extended to geodesic metric spaces. In this talk I will
begin by explaining the general problem, discuss what is known in the more
concrete cases of manifolds and polyhedra, and end with a new result which
applies to a much larger class of spaces than anything that was previously
known.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/seminars/topsem